(No. 2 we all strive for)
If you’re like most people, you’re super busy! There just never seems to be enough time in the day to accomplish everything on your to-do list. Striving to live a healthier lifestyle becomes more of a distant memory, than something achievable. However, by planning and preparing, you’ll be more successful at achieving your health goals. It’s the same principles that you would apply to becoming a successful business professional or entrepreneur. In order to be successful you have to plan, prepare and execute.
Although you may argue that you try to make it to the gym and that’s enough, it’s not. What you put in your mouth is more important, than time spent in the gym. Now don’t get too carried away and cancel your gym membership; fitness still plays an important roll. To get started, pick a day (typically Saturday or Sunday) and meal prep for the week. Doing this will help you reduce stress, and overwhelm, as you transition into your journey of living a healthier lifestyle. Incase I haven’t convinced you yet, below I’ve outlined 5 reasons to get you on board with meal prepping.
- Ingredient Control. When you purchase packaged foods and / or eat out, you expose your body to a host of food additives that are toxic. So think of preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, flavor enhancers, chemicalized sweeteners and artificial sweeteners, pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. These additives can disrupt your hormones, and promote inflammation; some have even been deemed as carcinogens. Choosing quality foods and spending time in the kitchen, can help reduce the toxic load in your body.
- Peace of Mind. The one thing we all strive for is peace of mind. I don’t care how busy you are, there’s a certain level of peace you should strive to operate in daily. I’ve never met anyone who jumps for joy because they enjoy chaos and frustration. As aforementioned, you plan and prepare for success, yet you choose not to apply the same principles to self-care and longevity. You have a hectic life as is, take the load off by meal prepping. Just imagine getting home and realizing you don’t have to cook! Just the thought of one area of your life being organized, brings peace of mind. Why? One less thing to think about.
- Save Money. Most of you don’t realize how much money you are spending by purchasing “convenience foods.” If you took the time to add up the cost of purchasing and preparing your own food vs. buying food on the go, you’ll realize that you save a ton of money with the first option. I personally know this to be true. When I use to work on Wall Street the excuse “I don’t have time” was the driver behind my lack of meal prep. I would buy breakfast, lunch, snacks, and sometimes even dinner; everyday! Sometimes I would check my bank account and wonder where the huge deductions were coming from; it was food!!!
- Slimmer Waistline. Aside from food quality, calorie intake of course plays a major role in weight gain. Also, please keep in mind that a calorie isn’t just a calorie. Don’t think if you eat 1,200 calories of junk versus 1,200 calories of healthier foods, that you are doing a great job. You also have to keep in mind how your body metabolizes one food item over another. One set of calories may promote fat burning while the other promotes fat storage, weight gain and inflammation. Prepping your meals gives you the opportunity to control portion sizes, and helps you keep track of what you are putting in your body.
- Quality Time. Busy schedules leave you limited time for family, relationships or other personal desires. Not having to think about cooking food when you get home will be a sigh of relief. All you have to do is grab your food, heat it up, and you’re good to go. Now you have more time to focus on the people you love without rushing to prepare something. You deal with enough things from the minute you wake up until you get home; you deserve a break. Now you can use this time for working out, hanging out with your family, enjoying a hobby, spending quality time with your friends or significant other.
If you want to conquer anything in life, it starts with a mindset shift. Don’t convince yourself that you don’t have time to meal prep. I promise you that once you get into a routine, it’ll become second nature. Research some healthy recipes, make a list of ingredients, head to the store, and spend some time cooking / prepping.
If the thought of searching for healthy recipes overwhelms you, I’ve released a cookbook called Simple Clean Eating Recipes that you can purchase on Amazon. These recipes are simple, quick, easy to make. You’ll spend less time in the kitchen while you lose weight, have more energy, less food cravings and more mental clarity.
Comment below! Have you tried meal prepping before? Do you agree its a great tool to help you live a healthier lifestyle?